For the first time in four years, this event will be celebrated in person and we are excited to partner with Columbia University Buddhist Association to make this celebration truly special and meaningful. The theme of this year’s Vesak celebration is “Lotus in the Mud,” which represents the idea that enlightenment can arise from the most challenging and difficult circumstances. This theme is particularly relevant to the challenges we face as a global community, and offers insightful teachings on how to become a lotus in such a muddy world, considering the environmental, political and social suffering. We hope that this celebration will provide a source of inspiration and guidance for all of us during these challenging times.
** 1:30 PM Marching from the campus, where each Sangha is encouraged to bring their flags, banners, and bells to march with us to the Low Library. This will be an excellent opportunity for us to showcase our unity and diversity as a Buddhist community.
** 2 – 4 PM Celebration
Bathing the buddha: Chanting by Ven. Refa Shi & Ven. Chang-Hwa
“The Wounded Swan” A story from the life of the Buddha read by Rochelle Weithorn, The Milarepa Children’s Theater and Chorus
Chanting & prayers
– Theravada: Ven. A. Vijitha Piyaratana, Staten Island Buddhist Vihara
– Mahayana: Brooklyn Zen Center
– Vajrayana: Khensur Rinpoche Lobzang Tsetan & Tashi Chodron
– Theravada: Ven. Bhante Dammajothi, New York Buddhist Vihara
– Mahayana: Ven. Chang Hwa, Chan Meditation Center
– Vajrayana: Khen Rinpoche will be speaking in Tibet with translation provided by Tashi Chodron
– Tzu Chi Sign Language Performing Group: Give Love
– Buddha’s Light International Association (BLIA): Triple Gems
– Roshi Pat Enkyo O’Hara, Village Zendo
Dedication of Merit
– Summon Sunim, Jogye Order Korean Buddhism
** 4 – 5 PM Mingling time: This will be a wonderful opportunity for us to connect with each other and build stronger bonds.
We look forward to your presence and participation in this event.